Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree53Likes

Team Yokomo SO 2.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-26-2023, 02:41 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Yokomo SO 2.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Cain

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 06:22 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Team Yokomo SO 2.0

https://teamyokomo.com/topics/14050/

Introducing the new Super Off-Road SO2.0!

SOR-020 Super off-road SO2.0 ¥60,280 (tax included)

2WD off-road car that is fun to drive lightly has evolved further! A racing buggy was born that further enhances the rear traction and increases the sense of stability, making it fun to attack the corners. The 13mm big bore shock, which has more than 10% more capacity than before, is the key to driving. It achieves both high stability and response, and draws a smooth turn arc. Front and rear wings with increased downforce and a low-profile body control aerodynamics, contributing to stability at high speeds and posture control during jumps. The new steering block makes it easy to match the regulations, making it a super off-roader for enjoying racing.

The newly designed steering block can change the tread width by installing it inside out. Normally, the wide tread meets the race regulations, but if you use a wheel with a deep offset, you can clear the regulation by turning the steering block upside down and narrowing the axle position.

An aluminum plate is installed under the servo to adjust the weight and rigidity of the front. You can change the effectiveness of the steering according to the road surface conditions. In addition, the mechanical tray, which was previously made of resin, has also been changed to steel, contributing to a lower center of gravity and improved traction.

The front and rear shocks have been bore up to Φ13mm, achieving a capacity expansion of more than 10% compared to the conventional model. The shock absorption capacity has increased, and the response range has expanded to rough road surfaces.
sosidge and dub671 like this.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:08 AM
Tech Legend

up for preorder:

https://rcpitlane.com/collections/al...07f96cce&_ss=c

Looks like $390 shipped!
Old 08-15-2023, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

So basically an update to 13mm shocks which is the current trend, and a heavier electronics tray.

I'm intrigued by the reversible steering blocks - what scenario has made the current car too wide? Running those fat 4wd front tyres perhaps?

Anyway, if this can be as competitively priced as the current SO1.0 then it might be a popular choice. The SO1.0 gives two sets of parts in the box for high and low grip and is a bargain at £300 from the UK supplier (although that is discounted from full price, but I don't think it was sold at full price for long).

I fancy something new for the winter, maybe this is a contender...
Old 08-15-2023, 11:23 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by sosidge
So basically an update to 13mm shocks which is the current trend, and a heavier electronics tray.

I'm intrigued by the reversible steering blocks - what scenario has made the current car too wide? Running those fat 4wd front tyres perhaps?

Anyway, if this can be as competitively priced as the current SO1.0 then it might be a popular choice. The SO1.0 gives two sets of parts in the box for high and low grip and is a bargain at £300 from the UK supplier (although that is discounted from full price, but I don't think it was sold at full price for long).

I fancy something new for the winter, maybe this is a contender...
Part of me wonders if the SO 1.0 actually should have been named like a 3.1 FT or whatever since it has all the goodies like AE used to do before they would make a new kit.

This one if the price holds at places like amain versus RC Pitlane is slightly cheaper than the Associated RC10B6.4 (assuming the SO 2.0 is a carpet based variant). That will make it very competitive at least from a price point.

I am curious if the 13mm shocks are still using the 12mm springs.
Old 08-15-2023, 03:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sosidge

According to Yokomo's press release, "The newly designed steering block can change the tread width by installing it inside out. Normally, the wide tread meets the race regulations, but if you use a wheel with a deep offset, you can clear the regulation by turning the steering block upside down and narrowing the axle position."

This is nice because it'll give you another offset option in the event that your LHS doesn't have the 'right' offset available.
Old 08-15-2023, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain
Part of me wonders if the SO 1.0 actually should have been named like a 3.1 FT or whatever since it has all the goodies like AE used to do before they would make a new kit.

This one if the price holds at places like amain versus RC Pitlane is slightly cheaper than the Associated RC10B6.4 (assuming the SO 2.0 is a carpet based variant). That will make it very competitive at least from a price point.

I am curious if the 13mm shocks are still using the 12mm springs.
I had the same question regarding the shocks. Would be nice if all we had to do was swap the shock bodies and pistons to go to the 13mm bore. Wonder if they will offer a version of the shocks with the "alumite" coating on them?
Cain likes this.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

I was looking for this thread. Thanks Cain for creating it
Cain likes this.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yokomo has finaly done a great step forward machining the chassis to accommodate electronics weight plate and servo weight. Will see what shock package they come up with
Old 08-16-2023, 03:48 PM
Tech Legend

Hmm, maybe I need a refresh of my current cars. Been running a CAL3.1 with all the SO 1.0 upgrades and then some, including 13mm kashima shocks which once you get the shock package down, mainly the pistons, it has been excellent. Looking forward to this.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:42 PM
Tech Legend

SO 2.0 is up at amain!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...r-020/p1516937

Old 08-16-2023, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

^ cool! According to the amain description, the kit comes with aluminum bell cranks and steering arm, and carpet and dirt parts! If that’s the case, it’ll be a super competitive offering.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sawzall
^ cool! According to the amain description, the kit comes with aluminum bell cranks and steering arm, and carpet and dirt parts! If that’s the case, it’ll be a super competitive offering.
A-main description is definitely wrong. They took the SO1.0 description and pasted in the SO2.0 section
Old 08-16-2023, 11:38 PM
Tech Addict

I would be very suspect of that description. Because that seems to be a direct copy of the Super Offroad 1.0 text.

From everything i can see from pictures of the SO2.0, it does not appear to have the aluminum bellcranks, aluminum drag link, or the aluminum upper link mount like the 1.0 did.
It looks to have the same front bulkhead layout as the RO1.0, with the reinforced plastic link mount, draglink, and bellcranks. Honestly somewhat disappointing. And i am sure was a strategic decision for international pricing. As it would likely have added an extra $50 to the kit price to include all of the bling bits that came with the SO1.0.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

^ That's really disappointing. I was hoping since it was on the SO 1.0 it would carry over to the 2.0 I guess I'll wait to see what Xray and Losi do for 2024 before I pull the trigger on a 2wd buggy.

Edit: I read both the 1.0 and 2.0 descriptions on Amain. The second paragraph is a direct copy, but the first paragraph and the features section are different. Either way, looks like we'll have to wait and see the full details of the kit.

Last edited by sawzall; 08-17-2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

SO1.0 wasn't profitable for Yokomo. It's a nonsense to sell a full featured kit for 420€ here in EU. We all wan't this hobby to be that cheap, but guys, someone has to eat from this.

For 390$ you are still getting steel chassis weights, steel/aluminum a-arm holder, super high quality aluminum and japanese made kit. AE is selling you crap chinese made quality for the same money LOL

Last edited by lexusbest; 08-17-2023 at 08:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.